Do you ever use 3” pans and if so what adjustments do you make? Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, and salt together in a bowl. xx, No problem! This cake is already quite moist though, so I could see pudding mix making the batter overly moist / wet! I made this cake last night and it was absolutely delicious!!! I just made this in my instant pot! Thanks a lot! What would be the best vegan substitutes for the egg and the buttermilk? For my 6 inch cakes pans I have 3 inch deep pans, and love them. If the frosting is too thin, add in more powdered sugar (quarter of a cup at a time). I followed the recipe correctly. Last updated Dec 06, 2020. Im making spumoni flavors. Hi Chelsey, I made this cake today and it turned out perfectly! I just got 4 inch pans and I have been trying to figure out how to adapt some of my favorite recipes! Here’s the link: https://chelsweets.com/2016/09/05/best-vanilla-layer-cake-recipe/. If you make 1/3 of most of my cake recipes, you’d have the right amount of batter to make 3, 4-inch cake layers like this. You can use full fat yogurt or sour cream in place of the buttermilk in this recipe. Can I get a good Gluten Free cake? Would you recommend doing this recipe and another half or using your 8inch recipe dispersed into 4 6in layers? Planning to make this today, so appreciate any feedback you could give. While I love making this mini vanilla cake recipe exactly like the recipe calls for below, I know that some of you might want to make substitutions or not have all these ingredients on hand. My cake came out great but it is SOOOO sweet! Hopefully that will help for next time <3. When I set out to make a vanilla cake recipe, I hit it hard with a full tablespoon of vanilla extract. Thoughts?! One batch makes three, 4 inch cake layers that are perfect for a small celebration. Also please tag me @chelsweets, and use the #chelsweets on social media so that I can see your amazing creations! It was moist even and not to crazy sweet. Thanks, Chelsea. If the frosting is too thick, add in additional cream (1 tsp at a time). Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Today, we did easy buttercream roses, which are so simple if you have the right tip. I’m planning to go ahead with Russian BC as that seems easier than SM. I don’t know what I did wrong tonight ? Grease your cake pan (s) with butter and set aside. Hi! But I love this look and I can’t find it. Grease a 13x9-inch pan, and set aside. I love the cake! Russian buttercream can be finicky, so only add SUPER cooked down beetroot juice, otherwise it can cause the frosting to break. Continue beating. Is there anything that could prevent them from browning too much? For the glaze, substitute 4 teaspoons lemon extract for the vanilla. Love how moist this cake is and thanks for the small batch recipe! I’d recommend either trying a different type of buttermilk, or using whole milk or sour cream in place of the buttermilk. My swiss meringue buttercream or my russian buttercream are great alternatives, and are less sweet <3. Do you have any idea what I could’ve done wrong to make it like that? Aw thank you Ese!! Super excited to try my first cake in the 4 inch pan. Hi! Hope that helps, happy baking! This helps thicken the batter, and prevents your cake layers from having a gritty texture. I challenged myself to decorate this mini vanilla cake without a spinning cake stand! And how to make this cake a bit more fluffy? Very thick batter, as I think you mentioned. I bought the fat daddio ones you mentioned, and it worked much better! I think it would taste great with russian buttercream, and should hold up just fan as long as the cake is chilled once it’s made (you can take it out an hour before you plan to cut into it to let it thaw)! Can you help? I added a teaspoon of chocolate powder to a third of the mix and a splash of maraschino cherry juice to another third, both came out perfect. If you plan to color the buttercream, add in the gel food coloring once the frosting is fully made, and beat on low until it reaches the desired color, Add an even layer of buttercream between each cake layer with a. Just be sure to omit the salt that this frosting recipe calls for. What have I done wrong? So moist, yet sturdy and oh so tasty!! This small batch cake recipe can also be used to make cupcakes! I also topped my cake with some nonpareil sprinkles. I was wondering how much cocoa powder i should substitute in place of powdered sugar to make a chocolate frosting? Add butter and mix on medium-low speed for three minutes. I normally use caster sugar to bake so I think maybe that’s where I’m going wrong? All that matters is that you bake the layers individually rather than filling one pan full and torting the baked cake layer. Sweet! Add a thin coat of frosting around the cake, fully cover the cake layers. There was one problem. This recipe looks amazing, I would love to try it. For the mini vanilla cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Hope that helps for the future, happy baking!! Thanks Eden! Can I just use oil only instead of butter and oil mix?? I tried this recipe for Canada Day, and it will probably be delicious. I will make them today! First, mix the wet ingredients thoroughly with a hand mixer, sprinkle the dry ingredients evenly on top, and then fold together. I love making cakes, but it’s a lot harder to share them with my friends and family right now. I’m so upset lol. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and heavy cream, and beat until light and fluffy. That’s awesome to hear though, I’m glad you guys like it! so today I tried this mini recipe , I was lazy bc I only have 2 daddio 4 inches so I just said I’ll make 8 cupcakes. Hi I love your tik toks and recipes is there a way for me to make any cake a mini Cake? For these mini cakes, I adapted Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Downy Butter Yellow Cake recipe from The Cake Bible. Hope that helps, happy baking! Crush the vanilla wafers and place 1/2 tablespoon of the crushed vanilla wafers into the paper lined … I use 2 inch deep pans! Pour the melted butter, oil, and egg into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Cut the butter into small pieces and mix with the milk in a large saucepan. It’s actually not something you did wrong! The second step I recommend is letting your batter rest for about 30 minutes before baking your cake layers. I love baking, found your videos last night, and you have inspired me! Mix together all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) with a whisk until fully combined. 3 net carbs for the whole recipe (not including add ins or topping) and 23 g of protein, 35 g fats. Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat, and then stir in the remaining milk. I’d recommend letting them bake a tiny bit longer, until a toothpick comes out with only a few moist crumbs. 4 cups powdered sugar; 1/2 cup butter (at room temperature) 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream (can use whole milk) 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (use clear vanilla extract for whiter frosting, if desired); The entire recipe and instructions can also be found in the recipe … I also have coconut flour, not sure if I should use a blend of almond and coconut. If it’s a bit too sweet for your liking, you can try pairing it with a less sweet frosting like my russian buttercream or swiss meringue buttercream, which will help balance out the sweetness. If your cake layers turned out a bit dry, that could be caused by a few things. I am going to try again..going for no sink and a lighter crumb…. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream and vanilla bean paste. That’s great to hear! Today lol, I don’t know what happened. Are you looking for a grilling recipe? Remove the cake from the oven, and gently loosen its edges using a heatproof spatula. So I thought I’d test it with this recipe. Is it ok if I use 3/4 cup of sugar? I made it again. Do you really mean a full cup of sugar to one of flour? Hi there! Aw you’re too sweet Shaina!! Thanks. Thanks! I have been testing out different recipes and this vanilla cake is my favorite! That’s crazy Morgan!! I used 3 4″ pans, and once turning out, I saw that they sunk in the middle a bit and the crumb was heavy, not somewhat fine looking as in your 4″ cakes. What is the time a temperature for this cake? I have a question for Gluten free recipe. That’s such a great work around, and good to know! Because there is so little butter, you’ll end up with a very fine crumb texture. Add 1 1/2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice into a 1/2 cup measure then fill the rest up with whole milk. One batch of this mini cake recipe makes enough batter to make 3, 4-inch cake layers, or 2 6-inch cake layers. You could even use olive oil if that’s all you have on hand. ; Make the mini cakes: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.Set … I love using strawberry powder to make naturally pink frosting, like this: https://amzn.to/3fMKLq7. I made your best vanilla cupcake! I tried again, and had the same issue. I use an open-star tip, and make a circle that starts in the center and moves outward. However I was wondering, can I substitute the butter in the cake for all vegetable oil? I’d recommend just using my regular vanilla layer cake recipe, which does exactly that! I have never experienced that, but it might be from the castor sugar. Thanks!! 2) the cake crust ended up cooking a bit too much so ended up being brown and a bit hard. Almond - Make the cake batter as directed above, adding 3/4 teaspoons almond extract along with the vanilla. You can omit the vanilla if you want, but I usually add both vanilla and lemon extract. Thanks!! I had the same issue (sunk in the middle). I’m trying to take this same idea and do a mini cake with a different flavor for a smash cake Thanks! We have a cake recipe for almost any occasion, and if you love this vanilla cake you’ll also love Mint Chocolate Cake (Grasshopper Cake), Carrot Cake, Oreo Cake, and Classic Yellow Cake! I wanted to see what styles and decorations are doable if you don’t have tons of baking tools on hand. It came out dense, but not in a bad way. Vanilla Cake is a CLASSIC cake recipe made with vanilla extract and topped with buttercream frosting, ready in under 60 minutes! Or the batter may have been overmixed (mix just until the ingredients are incorporated), or you may have added too much flour! The layers thick but convert this to chocolate classic vanilla birthday cake since I ’ m to! Well-Combined, about 15 seconds spatula or the back of a batch three! Case, take them out of the flour more time in the frosting too... Kids ’ summer birthdays turned of right baking!!!!!! Or share a photo on Instagram and anxiously awaiting the arrival of my vanilla layer cake recipe with soft and... Personal cakes or smash cakes recommend one over the other between swiss meringue and Russian