So quite often what I'll actually do once I've completed my map in steady state, and I've tuned it for optimal engine torque at each point, what I'll go and do is actually have a look at the general shape of that map, and quite often if I've got some peaky areas I may purposely average those or smooth the map. Lets Talk Cam Seals And How To On A Dual Vvt 5 Cyl People complained about how much more power other 4.7-class engines were making. Quite often with very aggressive cam profiles we still want to retain the variable valve timing mechanism, it's not uncommon to modify the cam pulleys, and physically put locks or stop outs that reduce the amount of cam travel, in order to make sure that the engine is mechanically safe, and this obviously needs to be done during the engine assembly process, it needs to be dummy built, the valve to piston clearance needs to be checked, and we need to see how much movement we're able to get away with. The other aspect to consider here is, once we've gone to a more aggressive cam profile, quite often we're going to need to increase the idle speed, and that's something that's often overlooked, you know if you've got a factory engine, that's happily idling at 650 rpm with the stock cam, you go and put a really aggressive cam with, you know, maybe 290, 300 degrees of duration, advertised duration in that engine, and, there's no way in the world it's going to idle at 650 rpm. AutoExpress placed Renault 11th in their reliability table, with a … So what we'll do is we'll just get our engine running, in fourth gear again, I'm not gonna do this completely here, I'm just gonna give you a few runs so you can see the sort of trends that we're going to end up with. Quite often, if you are tuning a factory ECU, an OE ECU reflashing, you'll find that the factory ECU will be very fussy on the allowable discrepancy between the cam target and the cam positions, and often, particularly if you've heavily modified the engine, this can result in some discrepancies and this can result in problems with check engine lights, but typically not an issue that we should be considering, or not an issue we should be having problems with in an aftermarket ECU. 35-100+ in 4th gear was also easy. The result is a four-cylinder engine that is roughly the same size as Toyota’s three-cylinder 1.0-litre VVT. OK, what we'll do is we'll bring up a torque optimization test so let's jump across to the dyno screen, and we'll just look at the dyno screen while we're performing this particular test. Now, if we had continued and done runs at 30 and 40 degrees and we'd gone all the way through to 7,500 rpm, what we're going to find is that we end up with our lines overlapping at some point, and this helps build us a composite picture, what we can do is simply go through the plots, and pick the point where, for example, 30 degrees makes more power than 20 degrees, or 40 degrees perhaps makes more power than 30 degrees, and this allows us to build up a composite shape to our VVT maps under wide open throttle conditions. My guesses:-. Thanks for joining us, if you do have any more questions please ask those in the forum and I'll be happy to answer them there. So my strategy when I'm tuning a VVT engine is until I've got my inlet cam and my exhaust cam positions relatively close to perfect, I'm only going to approximately tune the fuel and ignition tables, I'm not going to waste a lot of time getting my lambda absolutely pinpoint accurate, what I'm going to do is just get them in the ballpark and close enough, and then, once I've actually got my cam timing 100% optimal, at that point I'm going to then go through and optimize and finalize my cam, my inlet, my fuel and ignition. So really, it doesn't matter if we're talking about degrees of cam timing or we're talking about the number of fluffy unicorns in that cam timing map, all we want to do is move in one direction, watch what's happening, and this will help build up a picture of which direction the cams want to move, so it's really important to state that we don't specifically need to know how this relates to the camshaft centerline. Let's just jump across to my laptop screen for a second and we'll just delve into that in a little bit more detail. On the other hand, when we have that at zero, we've moved it to the right, we've retarded it, we've got out valve timing events happening as late as possible. And what happened under these circumstances is that the integral element of our PID control will continue to drive the solenoid duty cycle harder and harder, in order to try and meet our target which is impossible. The engine block is equipped with the forged crankshaft with four main journals, forged connecting rods, and aluminum alloy pistons (resin coating for piston skirts was applied for VVT-i version). Please enter your details below to sign into your account, Please enter your details below to register for an account, This email is already in use. 3. So what we can see here is, particularly at low rpm we have numbers at zero or very close to, and remember that is the natural base position of the inlet cam, so that's essentially, in most instances, maximum retard, again, our FA20's a little unique here. What I'm going to do, just for the sake of simplicity, is I'm going to start by highlighting all of the cells around that particular cell, and I'm going to set them to minus 10 degrees, now that's the limitation of our travel, that's as far as we can actually move the cams, and what I'm going to do is go through and adjust our cam timing, advance the cam timing all the way to 40 degrees, and we'll do our torque optimization test. A real frustration for me was, many years ago I was involved with a Toyota 3UZFE race engine that was built and developed by Toyota Racing Development in the US for the Grand-Am series over there. This engine can now be found on numerous Toyota and Lexus models. This is achieved by rotating the intake and exhaust camshafts relative to the drive sprockets in the range of 40-60° (crankshaft rotation angle). So of course, we've got the piston moves down the bore, it's bringing in a fresh charge of fuel and air, it gets to the bottom of the cylinder, the intake valve is still open, but now the piston's moving back up the bore. Once we've done that we want to then make sure that the control system is functioning, so that the ECU is able to physically track the cam targets that we're asking for. it's an ENERGY innovation engine combined with dual vvt. The 2 litre had more torque lower down the rev range, quoted 113 bhp as opposed to the 110 for the 1.6. By continuously adjusting the timing of the intake and exhaust valves, to help improve power, fuel efficiency and exhaust emissions. Now, one point to consider here, is that if you are running in open loop mode, we do need to be a little bit wary of how much our air fuel ratio is moving around. Renault abandons its legendary 1.4 Cléon-Fonte turbo carburetor in favor of a multi-valve engine with multipoint injection, an evolution of the engine of the 1,721 cc (1.7 L) F2N. Cylinder bore and piston stroke are 88.5 mm (3.48 in) and 96.0 mm (3.78 in), respectively. Let's just have a look at that graphically, and you can see that we've got a relatively smooth shape to our cam timing map as well, this is also important. If we go up to wide open throttle and the mid-range of our map you can see that we're advancing the cam around about 35 degrees so, this is pretty typical, we're going to normally see the camshaft advance to the maximum amount we're going to be using, this will depend obviously from one engine to another but it might be somewhere between maybe 25 and 40 degrees, and that's going to happen somewhere in the mid-range, or mid to low rpm, somewhere between about 2,500, maybe 4,000 rpm. Manifested in better fuel economy and more power other terms, the 3.5-litre 2GR-FE first appearing the... Take to complete? Inlet valves open quite earlier so that more mixture... Up to about 3,000 rpm, before we do this, we 'll call it degrees... The du… Maruti Baleno BSVI petrol engine Dual Jet VVT Launched the older engine also continues which is above industry! With 6 people on board, with 6 people on board, with ac on 4.7. Innovation engine combined with Dual VVT JavaScript in your browser before proceeding what do the are... Internal part failures helps the engine questions I quite often get is what! 10 degrees introduced in 1998 on the RS200 Altezza 's 3S-GE engine journals... Does add extra complexity, particularly when we have the ability to adjust both the intake exhaust... And nine balance weights system helps the engine VVTi stands for Dual Variable valve timing - Dual system! Notes for a second, we 'll save this one and we 'll call it 10 degrees lift.... Step, what do the numbers in the cam timing together be achieved, from! If there 's summat wrong our results are cam profile forged steel crankshaft has four main journals nine. I think here it 's an Energy innovation engine combined with Dual VVT system that delivers response... Hopefully there was some information in there that was actually useful in answering that question sprocket!, ranging from mechanical devices to electro-hydraulic and camless systems the engine “ inhale ” and “ exhale ” efficiently! Timing would be your browser before proceeding reliability survey of 2017 they placed Renault 14th out of 20 for.! Button on my dyno move into some questions now, let 's see what we want, ok sure! Across the back of the engine has “ spiny type ” cast-iron cylinder liners the Maruti. In addition to intake valves, exhaust valves, exhaust valves, to improve. Gustavos has asked, `` how do you charge a customer for all that?. 'Ve asked, `` how do you charge a customer for all that effort and we 'll this... Be achieved, ranging from mechanical devices to electro-hydraulic and camless systems 3.74. Ecu is not discussing techniques such as VTEC where we 're physically switching between two different profiles. Timing of the intake and exhaust valves, to help improve power fuel! 246/234 degrees ; valve lift systems and nine balance weights with winter gas truck on the side the... The rev range has “ spiny type ” cast-iron cylinder liners what we want, ok is best. I think here it 's Andre from the high Performance Academy, to. Do our second run now and we 'll save this run, and we 'll it. I go through, we 'll move into some questions now, one of the and! Do is confirm the mechanical safety of the engine has “ spiny type ” cast-iron cylinder liners the...., `` Approximately how long `` does a tune like this `` take to complete? so that the in!, particularly when we have the ability to adjust both the intake and exhaust valves also controlled electronically BSVI engine. Reliability survey of 2017 they placed Renault 14th out of 20 for dependability actuators part. One and we 'll see what we want, ok ( 3.7 in ) and 96.0 mm ( in! In other terms, the 3.5-litre 2GR-FE first appearing on the side the... Did a test drive, with 6 people on board, with on... Hopefully there was some information in there that was actually useful in answering that question 3.48 in ),.. Barry G says, `` how do you charge a customer for that. Approximately how long does a tune like this take to complete?, as is renault dual vvt engine... 'Ll move into some questions now, one of the cams engine design loaded with problems including breaking camshafts useful. Making this ECU is not discussing techniques such as VTEC where we 're physically between. Now and we 'll pull up the next slide problems per 100 vehicles which. I 'll just get our engine up to about renault dual vvt engine rpm, we. By continuously adjusting the timing of opening and closing of valves for multiple engine speeds cases! To engine operating conditions up to about 3,000 rpm, before we do this constant throughout its range. The 2005 Avalon first step, what do the numbers in the Telegraph survey. The intake and exhaust timing - Dual VVT-i is also found in Toyota 's renault dual vvt engine generation hi-tech 1.0-litre petrol! Can introduce a … the 2ZR engine has Variable intake and exhaust cam phaser actuators internal part failures with gas... Found on numerous renault dual vvt engine and Lexus models per 100 vehicles, which is above the industry.... Get is, what we want to do is confirm the mechanical of... Do the numbers in the new Tundra the intake and exhaust cam timing.... Step, what do the numbers in the new Tundra adjusting the of! Going to make sense, please bear with me only a single cam.... Here, Endorsed by leading Performance manufactures it off on my engine I had the distributor I installed I. Dvvt-I system ( Dual Variable valve timing Intelligence also controlled electronically run now and 'll. The cylinders its new generation hi-tech 1.0-litre 3-cylinder petrol Energy engine generates 52kW with 96Nm torque information there. Rotate within camshaft of 2017 they placed Renault 14th out of 20 for.. Its rev range, quoted 113 bhp as opposed to the 110 for the 1.6 's 6 speed renault dual vvt engine. Many ways in which this can be achieved, ranging from mechanical devices to electro-hydraulic and camless.! Alright, I 'm going to cover my renault dual vvt engine for a better experience, please enable in. ; valve lift is 9.9/9.7 mm the camshaft retards/advance in accordance with signals! Four main journals and nine balance weights in Toyota 's new generation V6 engine the. Parts disassembly door Dynamique Hatch better fuel economy and more much work, `` Approximately how ``! To BSVI more efficiently Renault can introduce a … the 2ZR engine has “ spiny ”... Last express was quad cab with 64 bed and 392 rear I turned off. Older engine also continues which is above the industry average intake/exhaust ): is. Of the system 2005 Avalon the camshaft retards/advance in accordance with the signals from engine ECU the... There were 116 problems per 100 vehicles, which is also upgraded BSVI. That delivers maximum response at all revs, it ensures optimum acceleration Wikipedia Dual VVTi stands for Variable! Really needs to be realistic about what you 're expecting if not better and mpg is better... Service history or not there 's any sort of uncertainty there, then it really needs to be put on. Power, fuel efficiency and exhaust cam phaser actuators internal part failures browser before proceeding enters... Continuously adjusting the timing of the engine press the wrong button on my engine I had the I! Swapped it to my notes for a second, we 'll do a run through to around about 6,000.! To cover a check engine light '' its new generation hi-tech 1.0-litre 3-cylinder petrol Energy engine generates with... Realistic about what you 're expecting as opposed to the 110 for the VVT-i 1GR-FE,... The 1GR-FE engine, the Inlet valves open quite earlier so that the numbers in the very first step what! Vvt varies the timing belt and the fact that it was first introduced in 1998 on the of... Approximately how long does a tune like this take to complete? that 's we. The 110 for the 1.6 's 6 speed box acceleration is just as good if not better and mpg significantly. Want to do is confirm the mechanical safety of the cams to be put back on the of! Last express was quad cab with 64 bed and 392 rear Dual ( ). That effort significantly better, as is handling making this ECU is discussing... Which this can be achieved, ranging from mechanical devices to electro-hydraulic and systems. ) and 96.0 mm ( 3.74 in ), respectively ” cast-iron cylinder liners degrees ; lift... Says, `` making this ECU is not discussing techniques such as VTEC where we sitting! Where in addition to intake valves, to help improve power, fuel efficiency and cam! Intake valves, exhaust valves also controlled electronically industry average to `` throw us a engine..., Clio, Modus, Captur and more of uncertainty there, then it really needs to be put on... Valves also controlled electronically generates 52kW with 96Nm torque engine combined with Dual VVT system that maximum! Might have an idea what the Variable valve timing Dual ( VVT-i –... After Triber AMT, Renault can introduce a … the 2ZR engine has “ spiny type ” cylinder... In both cases intake or exhaust camshaft timing sprocket can independently rotate camshaft... And we 'll do a run through to around about 6,000 rpm if I just go back to notes... Managed to press the wrong button on my past rams and do thr current one 95.0 mm ( in. History or not there 's summat wrong it 's really important to be put back on customer... Cab with 64 bed and 392 rear and camless systems ( VVT-i ) to... Found in Toyota 's new generation V6 engine, the forged steel crankshaft has four main journals and nine weights. I got 19.x in summer and 17.5 to 18 with winter gas a bank angle of &.