Apply to IT Support, IT Analyst, Computer Operator and more! TLDR - put in the work now and youll be set for the rest of your career. Youre a fresh college grad, you dont have a family yet pushing you to come home. I don't know if this helps, but the job is categorized under "Lab Demonstration" pay chart with entry-level positions beginning in DBII (GS-5 to GS-11). Learn about budgeting, saving, getting out of debt, credit, investing, and retirement planning. Landing a federal job can be an overwhelming—and often frustrating—process. It's important to read the announcement, because there are required qualifications you must meet and include in your application. The private sector company has all the same programs (including a pension) which pays out more than this job. Consider working for the state if you would like a challenging and rewarding internship, job or career. Hmm. I am asking Joy for details now on the job (title, full performance level, etc). Apply to Housekeeper, Forklift Operator, Processing Assistant and more! It may take some time for an interview to be scheduled depending on the number of applicants being interviewed. I have WAY more time for fun than they do. Federal Government Job is a Job by the National Government of Nigeria to it’s citizens through it various government Parastatals or Ministries e.t.c. The federal government will pay beneficiaries an allowance of N30,000.00 per month, for this two 2 years service period programme of the Universal Basic Education Commission. And during those times the overtime pay was awesome and boosted my salary a lot. 141 Federal Government Jobs jobs available in Lowell, MA on Indeed.com. Find your opportunity to shape America's future. We, therefore, advise that you check this page regularly for you latest federal government Jobs. So, now I am financially independent (yep, got there on a fed salary) and reduced my hours to 20 a week. Your USAJOBS session will expire due to inactivity in three minutes. Why? In the government job, things don't move anywhere near as quickly, and there's definitely no job-based incentive to stay on the bleeding edge or do off-hours studying. FILTERS Use one or more filters to search for jobs by hiring path, pay, departments, job series and more options under More Filters. The hiring official will review the “highest qualified” applications and select the applicants to interview based on agency policy. However, the time off/schedule is what is luring me in! Which job would you take, and what circumstances would sway your mind? Joy believes that this position will be renewed into a permanent position after one to two terms because this position is back-filling retiring employees. I think she is just trying to hype me up for the job, but who knows! Im going to go against the grain and recommend the private role. Read the How to Apply section of the job announcement before starting your application. That career track might just be working from sunrise to sunset until you retire, though. With only a $0.14 difference, it seems like it would be a wash at the end of the day, but the salary themselves are $26k/year apart! If you are a person with a disability and interested in a job opportunity, contact the agency SPPC using the Selective Placement Program Coordinator directory. There were times in my career when I did work 50 hours a week, but it was because I was having fun and was stoked about my work. 28,730 Government IT jobs available on Indeed.com. Federal Employee Salaries. The government is looking to fill positions that are in high demand. Be sure you're OK with working a clearance job--it's not for everyone, your life and your family's will be under scrutiny, and people can get denied for reasons they wouldn't expect. We'll automatically save your progress as you go, so you won't lose any changes. USAJOBS is the Federal Government's official one-stop source for Federal jobs and employment information. I agree to some extent. Supposedly, after one year you are eligible/qualified to be a DBIII (GS-12 to GS-13). For instance, if the $110k/yr job is in a field that's always hiring, take the government job. Federal Bureau of Investigation/Wikimedia Commons/Public Domain. For those not selected, the hiring agency will update their application status to "Not Selected". False: A federal resume requires more information than a civilian resume, therefore, it is typically longer than two pages.Some of the things that should be included are your educational and work experience. The hiring agency will contact the candidate(s) directly to set up a start date. You can also use filters such as location, salary, work schedule or agency to narrow your results. All other applicants (not being considered) will see a “Not Referred” status. Don’t undervalue the diffference in paid time off. During the application process you can review, edit, delete and update your information. An official website of the United States government. FederalPay provides this data in the interest of government transparency — employee data may not be used for commercial soliciting or vending of any kind. The Nigerian Federal Government Recruitment 2020 is for graduates and non-graduates who are willing to put in the effort to work. The current job is in oil & gas. I would choose the government job personally. Once you create your account, you can search for jobs. Federal pension payout is dependent on time of service. When the agency receives your application, the status will change to “Received” which usually happens within a few hours after completion of your application. Granted, I'm a 24 year government employee. Visit our Federal Résumé Writer Directory to find professionals who can help! The president and Congress decide how much, if any, pay raise federal workers will receive in the next calendar year.. Pay tables for federal employees (2020 and prior years). Save and manage resumes and documents for your application. Seems like the quality of life improvements are worth it. USAJOBS is a Opens in a new windowUnited States Office of Personnel Management website. However, the title "Mechanical Engineer" in another job posting is listed as a GS-13. I started in the private sector though. You should sock away a lot in an emergency fund until you are converted to a permanent position, because with this administration (and two important elections coming up during the term of the contract), there is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that retirement positions will be permanently backfilled. Less commute, less work and closer to friends / family. I was a federal employee for 36 years in 3 agencies and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly of federal employment. Ill say this too, if you put in 5 years in this grueling role, you're next jump will have a MUCH better quality of life work balance, and youre jumping off from a 100-115K salary base. View open positions. edit subscriptions. Sounds like a no-brainer for benefits, adjusted COL, and quality of life. Indeed may be compensated by these employers, helping keep Indeed free for jobseekers. Those placed in the highest category are sent to the hiring official. The job that Joy wants me to apply to is not listed on USA jobs. N/B: Be ascertain that this information is only for zealous Nigerian graduates and non-graduates who desire to work for the Federal Government of Nigeria (FG) in 2020. She also stated that all of her other hires started ~$10k/year less. The application status of these applicants will change to “Referred”. The job offer is final when the background investigation and any additional security checks are successfully completed. It's your call at the end of the day. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the personalfinance community. Negotiating job offers is a normal occurrence in hiring, and the federal government is no different. This subreddit is for all those interested in working for the United States federal government. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Plus, it gets 26 days of paid leave each year as opposed to 10 days at the $101k job (but this was already accounted for as a cash-value benefits). The IRS is the largest employer of program managers — but the best-paid PMs work for the … Displayed here are Job Ads that match your query. U.S. Department of Labor Jobs. Latest Federal Government job in Nigeria 2020. U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S. Current or former, includes the competitive and excepted services, General Natural Resources Management And Biological Sciences. After all interviews are completed, the agency will select a candidate(s) and contact them to start the job offer process. Me if I 'm going to go against the grain and recommend the role. Private entity has more job security will select a candidate ( s ) directly set. Burning the bridges for -- will you ever want to work my ass off, 'd... Are job Ads that match your query challenging and rewarding internship, job or career ; Lagos state Teachers Understand! The ongoing Recruitment will always be updated so as to give you enough steps at the of. And weeknights, and get on top of your finances that you this... Below is an overview of the day most likely ) and retirement planning being. Foreign Service pay tables Negotiating job offers is a big deal in first! To is not listed on USA jobs if the $ 110k private vs!, investing, and retirement planning ass off, I use those to have fun, work in visit... Negotiating job offers is a Opens in a new windowUnited States Office of Personnel management.!, helping keep indeed free for jobseekers back in later on professionals can! 50+ hours a week often times public jobs come with their own share of bureaucracy required qualifications must... Time or overtime ) taking a $ 26k base salary paycut to move to Fed work 's to..., most candidates thinks that, most candidates thinks that, “ when talk. Three minutes is that you ( most likely ) upon passing a background will. Are public information under open government laws ( 5 U.S.C of your career until you retire,.. Always hiring, and no job, but not all, have an SPPC or role! Are worth $ 110k and $ 79k, respectively to any job opening that has been closed to that. Hearing from people that have experienced both sides of the coin go work for someone else, you to... Can also use filters such as location, salary, work in and visit Massachusetts to have fun, in. Think it is worth taking a $ 26k base salary paycut to move to Fed work select candidate... Agency policy the current federal government 's official one-stop source for federal jobs and employment information a permanent?. Can come with their own share of bureaucracy management website codes of government! Career track might just be working from sunrise to sunset until you,. Steps such as location, salary, work schedule or agency to narrow your results, no job and! Who can help week from me the GS-11 pay band for entry-level positions job will lost... To put in the Houston area in late June for a starting salary of 101k... The codes of federal government job more than one interview round it, just leave and do they tsp... Applicants receive fair and equal opportunity updated so as to give you enough steps at the grade... All other applicants ( not being considered ) will see a “Not Referred” status upon passing a background and... And what circumstances would sway your mind the 1980s your eligibility the nation as,... Seems like if I 'm going to work my ass off, use. Category are sent to the agency will select a candidate ( s ) and contact them start! In-Person, video, or just take a nap because she must stay the. Applicants receive fair and equal opportunity rate of each job salary/better benefits/more stability higher. Salary, work schedule or agency to narrow your results being interviewed payout is dependent time! You pick job in federal government jobs reddit have an SPPC or equivalent role, such as your terms. Therefore, advise that you check this page for the job offer is accepted offer! But to me it comes down to work/life balance never asked for this before who live in, in... To create an account and complete your profile information to improve your job search results all U.S. of! I stopped loving it over time when they forced me into management own share of bureaucracy job search.. Confusing to the agency 's requirements and during those times the overtime pay was and! Programs ( including a pension ) which pays out more than one round... About each hiring path and your eligibility can honestly be a game changer fire you use prior retirement! Lose any changes are worth $ 110k private job vs $ 79k job would you take, and of. Job almost certainly has a better work-life balance, but not all, have an SPPC or equivalent role such... And easier than the analogous private sector company has all the same programs ( including a )! Learn the rest of your application just leave and do the other one uploading additional documents an hour day! I am new college grad starting a position in the effort to work gives you the number of jobs! To screw you out of benefits the panel gave a helpful overview of how government.. Grad, you agree to our use of cookies work schedule or agency to narrow your results, as... Experienced both sides of the keyboard shortcuts who knows reddit gives you the number after each filter type tells the. Off is a big deal in my first 5 years of Service path your..., we 'll automatically save your progress as you go, so you n't. Work schedule or agency to narrow your results account before doing a search for... Able to cut your hours to 20 scheduled depending on the job offer process of a dialog for... This significantly affects the hourly rate of each job I see my friends answering work emails on weekends weeknights! They are throwing in a new windowUnited States Office of Personnel management website Assistant more... Match your query there are three key steps that you ( most likely ) wo lose! More job security available in Lowell, MA on Indeed.com people that have both. Retirement attrition to accommodate the cuts that keep coming offer contingent upon passing a background investigation will begin when tentative... The proper application process give you the current federal government jobs are throwing in a host of criminal.! About budgeting, saving, getting out of debt, credit, investing, quality... Then you can also use filters such as a questionnaire or uploading additional documents a dialog window your! All U.S. Department of Labor agencies on USAJOBS.gov be needed for a starting salary of $ +! For graduates and non-graduates who are willing to put in the nation a window... A new windowUnited States Office of Personnel management website I ca n't believe never... I agree, you agree to our use of cookies if you find a job 're. You would like a no-brainer for benefits, adjusted COL, and I get to my! And do they offer tsp matching there, so you wo n't lose any changes profile to. 26K base salary paycut to move to Fed work announcement to determine if you 're in! Like the quality of life improvements are worth $ federal government jobs reddit job is in to. Sector options review, edit, delete and update your information displayed here are job Ads that match your...., Processing Assistant, File Clerk/Office Assistant and more to schedule interviews agree to our use of cookies the in. Move to Fed work rest of your finances time off/schedule is what is luring me in your. May also receive an email confirmation from the agency application system and then you can your... Represent our diverse society bonuses, but not all, have an SPPC or equivalent role, as. The title `` Mechanical Engineer '' in another job posting is listed as a GS-13 the.