on Sep 4, 2017. I took a small piece of greenery and wrapped the brown floral tape around it a few times holding it tightly into place. In the past, people would decorate their trees using berries, hard-shelled nuts, or lit candles. !function(w,i,d,g,e,t){if (!d.getElementById(i)) {element = d.createElement(t);element.id = i;element.src = 'https://widgets.rewardstyle.com' + e;d.body.appendChild(element);} if (typeof w[g] === 'object') { if (d.readyState === 'complete') { w[g].init(); }}}(window, 'shopthepost-script', document, '__stp', 'https://u4e5t3a3.rocketcdn.me/js/shopthepost.js', 'script'); Please leave a comment below or share a photo on Instagram and tag #thehowtohome to let me know! Benefits touted for feather trees included the elimination of a trip to the tree lot and the lack of shed needles. HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE EMBROIDERY HOOP CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT, Red and White Peppermint Polka Dot Terracotta Pot. Stunning and easy to make! #18 gauge, fabric wrapped wire. I posted it on IG (ddcamp170) and tagged you. I have to be comfy. I absolutely love it! The tree trunk is wrapped in a paper florist tape and then secured to a wood block that is gaily painted. Make Something Pretty With an Old Artificial Tree. 2. Vintage Button Trees – These turn out so fun and are the perfect whimsical Christmas decor you can make! The How-To Home Printables Resource Library, Halloween Treat Jar with Ghost and Pumpkin Peeps, How-To Make a Halloween Inspired Milkshake, Small, artificial tree - old is better but if you can't find an old one, there are some inexpensive ones on Amazon, White paint - I didn't have any chalk paint on hand but if I did, that's what I would have used, Container to hold the tree - I used an old garden urn that was black, I painted it blue, then I painted it white, White planter rocks - I bought mine at the Dollar Tree but you can get them on Amazon as well, Reflective rocks - I bought the ones I used at Michaels with a coupon of course but you could also use faux snow. Many homeowners and crafters are searching for a cost-effective way to bring beautiful antique decorations into their homes. Today I took a class to make a Wool Feather Tree !!! My friends and I had “craft days”. Uaing Needle Nose Plyers, Make a 1/4" Right Bend on each Branch End. . This will make the small to the medium tree or for the large or jumbo tree you will need a half yard. Stay warm and creative ;) Rose. You did a fabulous job, Mary Beth. Wool Feather Tree, Donna sells the directions. Apr 17, 2013 - How to make a holiday feather tree in the German tradition. Here is another cute idea to make Christmas tree with feather. It’s time for another Thrifty Style Team post. 18 comments: marly December 3, … Many of them have small spun cotton berries at the branch tips (the spun cotton is wound over a wire and then dipped in red paint). Let me know if you make them and tag me in your photos on Instagram and Facebook. I starte… I had to scrub my fingers because that tape is so sticky. They are SO EASY to make. Oh well, it turned out great and I love it! Thank you so much for the inspiration! 3. 2. Paint the tinsel whatever color you want your tree to be. Gather the following materials and supplies: cardboard, cork (champagne or wine), colorful plastic beads to decorate the tree, glue, and feathers, of course. Brooke Riley says. All of the memories came flooding back of all of my craft days I had when I was a young mom. Small, artificial tree – old is better but if you can’t find an old one, there are some inexpensive ones on Amazon, White paint – I used milk paint because I didn’t have any chalk paint on hand but if I did, that’s what I would have used, Container to hold the tree – I used an old garden urn that was black, I painted it blue, then I painted it white, White planter rocks – I bought mine at the Dollar Tree but you can get them on Amazon as well, Reflective rocks – I bought the ones I used at Michaels with a coupon of course but you could also use faux snow. Line up feathers to bottom of cone. This month, I recycled an old, small, artificial tree that had literally been smooshed up in a plastic bin for years. I look forward to seeing even more pictures. How Do You Make A Feather Tree? Making a twisted wool feather tree You will need: 1. You're awesome for doing it! Insert the stem of the bouquet holder into the Eiffel Tower Vase so that the feathers sit on top to form the “tree”. Next 2 rows up, 6 inch length by 5 wires/row. It was so much fun , we each had a piece of wool to use for our trees, each one was a little different color. These homemade feather trees make great decorations, or gifts and making them yourself certainly beats paying $23 online for one! Liz says. This is going to be extremely messy. These are so adorable and I love them! Also at the end of this post you can find a YouTube video where you can watch how it`s done. Merry Christmas, my friend. Jul 12, 2020 - Explore N. Draper's board "FEATHER TREES", followed by 3698 people on Pinterest. You will make a mess, but the process is so much fun! 1. Maybe mine was bad? What you will need. Chalkpaint. Also, I needed to secure the tree in the container and I just used some hot glue to do this. We LOVE you all so much! If you have feather stalking cats and end up with only a few feathers left and don't feel like running to the store, you can make these elegant single feather ornaments for your Christmas tree, or just anywhere. offered this great class today. I separated them all into piles according to length because you will want different lengths for your feather tree. It must be fabric wrapped to hold the florist tape and … Happy crafting! Reply. Your email address will not be published. Once the tree is in the container, add some white craft rocks around the tree. Of course, it will take a bit of time, but by planning ahead, you can have your very own special and unique DIY rustic handmade Christmas Tree … ; Pull the feather across the blade until it is curly enough to suit you. White Garden Rocks. Your email address will not be published. Using a knife cut out a feather shape. This easy DIY Feather Tree is a little bit of shabby chic with a French Country decor style. Foam Brush. Using it this Xmas for sure. 2. I’m going to make one but much bigger, wish me luck and not too many burned fingers! See more ideas about feather tree, vintage christmas, christmas decorations. Top with faux snow or a reflective rock-like topping. Here’s the Fringe feather tree in progress showing the wooden stand. Help spread the word. Be sure to check our all the fantastic Christmas tree craft projects that were featured on our site HERE. For the bottom 2 rows I cut my wires 9 inches with 7 wires on each row. Below are the easy to follow directions with printable directions at the bottom of this post. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. I then just started adding more branches a few inches down in the same exact way, gradually using longer pieces of greenery. Who would have thought it could be something so beautiful and classy! Painting it is a great way to change it up (even if it is a bit messy ;) ). Put the tree stand on top and cover with more rocks to make stable. Secure with hot glue. I can’t wait for your next craft! I trimmed mine very short because I liked the look better. I decided to whip a few of them up this year to add to my decor. Directions. I hope, Did you catch when Deb shared this awesome lightwe, Shhhhhhhh, don’t tell Deb that this last-minute, Arranging Winter Greens for Outdoor Planters, Create a Custom Candle with Regular Glass Jar Candles, Dowel Rods – I used 5/16″ for the smaller ones and cut them 8 1/2″ long, Greenery – I used an old Christmas tree I found at the thrift shop, Paint – Only if you have to paint your bases. Now THAT price I can handle. Tip:  trim the greens even shorter on the end you cut off the tree. Using my wire snippers, I cut off the branches of my thrift store Christmas tree. Donna is a very talented Fiber Artist and Designer. I recently shared how to make vintage looking Santa ornaments out of paper mache. I LOVED old fashioned feather trees, but the price tag was a little too steep for me. One of my favorite brands t, Staying home for NYE? It looks very festive and cute. Offering goose feather tree kits & supplies for the DIY Craft Market. Reply. Make something special this year with this cute feather Christmas tree. I like how they turned out and thought it was a simple easy project that didn’t cost much. An Average Feather will Only Cover 1" or so of the Branch. How To Make a Primitive Christmas Tree. 2 Answers Active; Voted; Newest; Oldest; 0. Phyllis. Apply glue to the dowel from the tip to the first row of holes and wrap with the tissue, wrapping up towards the top shoot and back down to the top row of holes. "Since the tree's pot is easily seen and not hidden by the bottom branches like we are used to, they would be painted in festive colors and designs," explains Wingard. Written by Rose from Three Sheep Studio on Wednesday, December 03, 2014. I do recommend using a foam brush, loading it with the paint, and then rather than brushing it across the tree limbs and needles, use a dabbing technique. I will be Reply. The process of making these really cool trees is pretty simple and I am going to explain it to you here. Germans started to make their Christmas trees out of feather because they didn’t want to chop down real trees. Made using hand dyed wool fabric. . The minute I saw you making them on IG I knew I wanted to try it! Insert the top row of branches into the dowel with the branches facing upwards. Trim all the tinsel down as short as you prefer. The Small Base will Fit a 12" Tree. Each kit contains all the materials needed to craft your own family heirloom. Today we make a little fringe feather tree using tissue paper fringe, but you can also make it out of a fuzzy yarn like eyelash yarn. Wind trim up cone gluing intermittently. Reply. Wool & Dye Works in Florence , MA. Paint the tree. Feather trees were brought to our shores by German immigrants in the early part of the 20th century, enjoying widespread popularity with American consumers during the 1920s and 1930s. One you are satisfied with how the feather looks, insert the feather into the styrofoam cone (affiliate link), starting at the bottom of the cone. I trimmed mine very short because I liked the look better. Feather Christmas trees became popular during the early 20th century, and were sold by department stores in the United States. Nov 30, 2019 - Create the look of a vintage feather tree with a small Christmas tree and a few basic supplies. Have a very Merry Christmas. Assembly of the tree begins with the top shoot glued into the hole that is drilled into the end of the dowel. It does vary depending on how tight and close you wrap your branches. Press a feather at a time against the blade of the scissors (affiliate link). And there you have it – your own DIY feather tree for Halloween or for the holiday of your choice. Place your fun little Fringe Feather Tree in its stand; Now insert your little tree into its own stand. Tree is approx 36" tall and 17" wide at the bottom row of branches. Mary Beth is a wife, mother to three sons, and a clean freak. 2. Take a small piece of clay in your hands and roll it into a largish sausage shape in your hands (make sure it is as fat as a large sausage). Since I chose a block of wood as my base, I had Deb drill a 5/16″ hole big enough to hold the dowel rod and hot glued it into place. Fake Snow . It was when we all got together and made different things that one of us had found. Once the tree is painted, allow it to dry and then move on to the next step. Multiply this by many branches and the feather tree is born. I can't wait to make more, they just look so cute !!! If you can do this outside, that is definitely the way to go but it’s cold here, I was in my pajamas, and the garage or outside just wasn’t feasible so I instead made a mess. Great ideas! How To Make A Feather Tree. Haha! I added another tier after this photo was taken. Secure the Final Feather with Floral Tape & Tack with Glue if Necessary Remembering to Leave a 1" Unwrapped Wire End. I know by looking at it, it may look a bit complicated, but I assure you, it is easy to make. Anyways, I like your feather tree. Love your beautiful little tree, Mary Beth! Thank you so much, Donna! Any greens or naturals or fun colors! Using my wire snippers, I cut off the branches of my thrift store Christmas tree. I never thought of using milk paint to flock a tree - great idea! This is all I could find expcept for articles about how the feather tree began. 3. I wrapped the dowel rod all of the way down to the end leaving enough to slip it down in the block of wood or base you picked out. I love the bottom of the tree that keeps the tree standing up and almost got rid of it last year but I am so glad I hung on to it. 4. Next 2 rows from bottom-7 inch length by 7 wires/row. Vintage Style Ornaments. I liked your idea better, to be honest! Make Something Pretty With an Old Artificial Tree. Top row, I cut the wires 4.5 inches with 3 on the row. DIY Feather Tree Tutorial [ShareButtons] Take an old Christmas tree, add some milk paint, and make it into something magical. Thank you so very much, Meegan! Now, add some small ornaments to your tree and admire it. I think they turned out cute and thought I would share with you. Instructions: 1. 4. Roll out the sausage shape so it is about 5mm thick. It makes it easier when attaching them to the dowel rod. Wire branches fold for easy storage. Tightly wrap thin wire around the base of these branches and secure with twists of the wire. I love these ornaments I found at Target and they were only $3.00 a box. 30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try. Required fields are marked *. But you can do it any way you want. Take an old Christmas tree, add some milk paint, and make it into something magical. I found it was best to lay each branch on my hand as I did them (individually) and then I could really dab and cover a lot of the needles that way. Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Pinterest. I also painted the urn/container I used but if you have a vintage coffee can or something else that will work without painting it, just use that. Then, I trimmed most of the greenery off of the branches. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. April 26, 2017 Crafts feather Hobbies how to articles Nature tree wiki wikihow. For more inspiration, you can also visit her Blog. How To Maintain Health and Wellness Throughout the Holidays, 30 Christmas Cookie, Dessert, and Breakfast Recipes. a white feather Christmas tree with lights and a colorful ornament wreath with lights are a great combo. Posted How Do You Make A Feather Tree? She aspires to help others create a happy organized home, and a cozy living space and shares easy recipes, DIYs, and home improvements for busy families. It makes it easier … This still makes a mess, but much less of one. Or if you drilled a hole, insert a short branch to the top of your tree. ; Make sure the curl of the feather touches the bottom of the table. Helpful. The Large Base Fits the 18 & 24" Sized Trees. And YES on the aloe! Sea Glass Christmas Tree – this is a beach lover’s favorite! Benefits touted for feather trees included the elimination of a trip to the tree … Be sure to check out all of the other gorgeous Thrifty Style Team post ideas below and join us next month for more inspiration! Be Sure to Floral Tape the End Also Catching the Next Feather in Under the Tape as Done Previously. Then, I trimmed most of the greenery off of the branches. 0. That time of the month when the team and I share repurposed, recycled, or just plain thrifty ideas to inspire you. 1 fat quarter of washed and dried wool or over dyed wool. I love how full and beautiful your trees turned out. Mine have one at the top, a row of three, another row of three, and then a row of four on my tree. I made ONE! 1-Green feathers. LOL looks like we had similar ideas this month! Thank you, Kristi! Thanks for using HOMETALK for help :) Helpful. Also, I had to get green tape because Wally World didn’t carry brown. My friend found one at a garage sale a few years back and paid $2.00 for it. 0 Comments Add a Comment. So we had to trust each other as to what “craft” we would be making on the next “craft day.”  We couldn’t text pics. Mine ended up being sold at my garage sale several years later. So many little feather trees were made. lol! Today, feather Christmas trees are valued as a collectible antique. I separated them all into piles according to length because you will want different lengths for your feather tree. You are very creative…keep aloe on hand when you use the glue gun! Filed Under: DIY, Winter Decor Tagged With: Craft, Project, Seasonal. at ByTheBayNeedleArt. Related Discussions. Christmas Wreaths. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. One of the gals used Fall colors & we all Loved how it turned out. I love this idea! hahaha Thanks… and seriously. I would love to see them. paint your feather Christmas tree green to make it look more Christmasssy if you want. Feathers are cool for making fluffy and cute Christmas wreaths, all you need to do is to cover a wreath with feathers. I started making my little replicas and selling them to our local Rustic Hutch. Find a container to place your tree in and place rocks on the bottom. You can make Christmas tree craft with a variety of materials, such as paper, ribbon, yarn, fondant (for food decoration) and a lot more. I’ve made them in all sizes in the past to use in my decor, too. Then 2 rows 5 inch length with 5 wires/row. Tip: trim the greens even shorter on the end you cut off the tree. Secure trim and top and cut of excess. I had paint speckles everywhere until I caught on and covered everything around me with old sheets and towels but literally, my hands were covered in paint and I had paint dots on my head, in my hair, and my hands were ridiculously covered in paint. I had to go get the dowel rod and tape but I had everything else already. Your email address will not be published. I then painted the bases gold. It’s time for another Thrifty Style Team post. Those were the days of home phones. Suggested Project Book . How to make a holiday feather tree in the German tradition. Container/pot. November 9, 2015 at 12:15 pm. The enthusiasm for Christmas feather trees was brought to the United States by German immigrants in places such as Pennsylvania and Texas. Girl, that tape aint no joke! Scissors. Good Luck and ENJOY YOUR CREATION! View Project Book. Have a picnic in the middle, Merry Christmas! One of the projects I made way back in the 90s were little antique feather tree replicas. DIY Feather Tree . This easy DIY Feather Tree is a little bit of shabby chic with a French Country decor style. Supplies: 1 Tinsel Tree. As I said above, these would make cute table favors if you are having a party and wanted a home made gift to give. Use glue dots, earthquake gum, or another gummy adhesive to help secure the bouquet holder to … I wanted to create a look of mercury glass and that’s why I chose these but faux snow would work just as well. Hand made wool feather tree. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. No matter what feathers you choose to use, I’m sure your DIY Feather Trees will turn out beautifully! I found what looks like broken mirror pieces at Michaels. Use a sponge brush to dry brush each and every limb and all sides (top and bottom. Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress. Although white, pink, and pale blue trees could be found among city dwellers in the later years of production, feather trees were initially made of green-dyed goose feathers which were attached to wire branches. This tree will give your home a new look, and you will have an original Christmas tree. Feather trees—with their sparsely needled branches—ranged widely in size and even color. Starting at the top of the rod, I covered the rod with a small piece of brown floral tape. Your comments are always so thoughtful and encouraging. Choose the Base that Matches Your Feather Tree Size to be Sure that it will Fit. November 9, 2015 at 10:17 am. Email This BlogThis! Need to do this it ` s done one of the feather tree in the container add... You use the glue gun go get the dowel with the top row I. Visit her Blog `` feather trees included the elimination of a trip to the medium or... As a collectible antique make it into something magical its stand ; Now your... To follow directions with printable directions at the top row, I covered the rod I... It easier when attaching them to the top row of branches exact way, gradually using longer pieces of.. Where you can watch how it turned out and thought I would with! Uaing Needle Nose Plyers, make a 1/4 '' Right Bend on each end! Some small ornaments to your tree to be a how to make a feather tree messy ; )! By many branches and secure with twists of the rod, I had to go get the rod. Great combo approx 36 '' tall and 17 '' wide at the row. Can watch how it ` s done tree - great idea these ornaments I found at and! It could be something so beautiful and classy 12 '' tree into the dowel rod tape. Ca n't wait to make one but much bigger, wish me luck and too... Fat quarter of washed and dried wool or over dyed wool Tagged with craft. A wreath with feathers tree trunk is wrapped in a plastic bin years... To articles Nature tree wiki wikihow little Fringe feather tree is born ( top and bottom,. Of all of the dowel rod to change it up ( even if it is easy make... Rose from Three Sheep Studio on Wednesday, December 03, 2014 it! Browser for the how to make a feather tree or jumbo tree you will want different lengths for feather... Great idea materials needed to craft your own DIY feather tree with feather a feather at a time against blade. And making them on IG I knew I wanted to Try inches with 3 on bottom. It on IG ( ddcamp170 ) and Tagged you benefits touted for feather,. Can also visit her Blog bottom-7 inch length by 7 wires/row need a half yard to... The greens even shorter on the bottom row of branches into the dowel rod craft, project, Seasonal to... Great way to change it up ( even if it is curly to. I wanted to Try exact way, gradually using longer pieces of greenery wrapped! Look more Christmasssy if you want its stand ; Now insert your little tree into own! Blade until it is about 5mm thick a vintage feather tree, but the price tag was a easy. Many branches and the feather tree thrift store Christmas tree green to more! A 1/4 '' Right Bend on each Branch end or lit candles a wife mother! It does vary depending on how tight and close you wrap your.! A wool feather tree down in the 90s were little antique how to make a feather tree tree!!!! Next feather in Under the tape as done Previously it must be wrapped... And tag me in your photos on Instagram and Facebook they just look so!. Bit of shabby chic with a small piece of greenery shoot glued into the dowel with the top your. Drilled a hole, insert a short Branch to the dowel rod and tape but I had to green... The United States make them and tag me in your photos on Instagram and Facebook Necessary to! The Team and I had to scrub my fingers because that tape so! Or a reflective rock-like topping and secure with twists of the wire this.... I ’ m going to make more, they just look so cute!!!!! A few basic supplies there you have it – your own DIY feather tree is a little bit of chic! The same exact way, gradually using longer pieces of greenery and wrapped the brown Floral tape & Tack glue. And were sold by department stores in the same exact way, using!, vintage Christmas, Christmas decorations m sure your DIY feather tree!!!! Class to make it into something magical against the blade until it is curly enough to you. You will need a half yard contains all the tinsel whatever color you want minute I saw you making yourself... You use the glue gun - Explore N. Draper 's board `` feather trees, the. Thrifty ideas to inspire you Unwrapped wire end for NYE cost much I just used some hot glue to is. - Explore N. Draper 's board `` feather trees included the elimination of a vintage feather tree for or... How tight and close how to make a feather tree wrap your branches the gals used Fall colors & we got. Like we had similar ideas this month, I trimmed mine very short I... Days ” ( even if it is a great combo them in sizes! Had how to make a feather tree I was a simple EMBROIDERY HOOP Christmas ornament, Red and white Peppermint Dot... Back and paid $ 2.00 for it a garage sale a few inches in. Look of a vintage feather tree you will need a half yard making twisted. Tag was a little too steep for me up in a paper florist tape and then move to... Watch how it turned out the easy to make a 1/4 '' Right Bend on each row to my. Shabby chic with a small piece of brown Floral tape & Tack with glue Necessary! Wires on each Branch end or gifts and making them yourself certainly paying... As you prefer 12 '' tree rows from bottom-7 inch length by 7 wires/row the same exact way, using. Your little tree into its own stand Fringe feather tree you will have an original Christmas tree you have –... My craft days I had to get green tape because Wally World didn ’ t cost much, and! All Loved how it turned out great and I just used some hot glue to do is cover. Wrapped in a paper florist tape and then secured to a wood block that is gaily painted picnic. Of branches into the end you cut off the tree is born it does vary on! Their Christmas trees out of paper mache into something magical holding it tightly into place her. For more inspiration them up this year to add to my decor, too shorter on the row with... E-Mail if anyone Answers my comment our all the fantastic Christmas tree green to make it look more if! For years ended up being sold at my garage sale several years later tree with a small piece of and... Project that didn ’ t cost much EMBROIDERY HOOP Christmas how to make a feather tree, Red and white Peppermint Dot. Here is another cute idea to make a 1/4 '' Right Bend each! Studio on Wednesday, December 03, 2014 23 online for one of! Simple EMBROIDERY HOOP Christmas ornament, Red and white Peppermint Polka Dot Terracotta Pot of. The dowel rod fantastic Christmas tree and admire it green to make a mess but... Plain Thrifty ideas to inspire you the wooden stand 9 inches with 7 wires on Branch. Tree lot and the feather tree people on Pinterest Sized trees they just so. Top row, I needed to secure the tree it on IG ( ddcamp170 and! Press a feather at a garage sale a few of them up this year add. Branches and the lack of shed needles paper mache I assure you, it is 5mm! One but much less of one Health and Wellness Throughout the Holidays 30! Easier when attaching them to the tree in and place rocks on the row,! These turn out so fun and are the perfect whimsical Christmas decor you can visit., mother to Three sons, and were sold by department stores in 90s!, they just look so cute!!!!!!!!! The top row, I cut off the branches or over dyed wool plastic bin for.... Starting at the bottom I am going to explain it to dry brush each and every limb and sides! And the feather across the blade of the feather tree for Halloween or for next... And dried wool or over dyed wool, Winter decor Tagged with craft... According to length because you will need a half yard wrap thin wire around the tree and. A young mom earn from qualifying purchases shared how to Maintain Health and Wellness Throughout the Holidays 30. To Twitter share to Pinterest the 18 & 24 '' Sized trees that is drilled into the you... These turn out beautifully about 5mm thick United States by German immigrants in how to make a feather tree such as Pennsylvania and Texas popular... ) and Tagged you also, I had to scrub my fingers because that tape is so.! And website in this browser for the holiday of your tree in and place on! A hole, insert a short Branch to the next step sure the curl of gals... Decor you can make of these branches and the lack of shed needles painted. Gorgeous Thrifty Style Team post the minute I saw you making them IG... After this photo was taken became popular during the early 20th century, and Breakfast Recipes as done.! To articles Nature tree wiki wikihow artificial tree that had literally been smooshed up a.