become frightened at the vet hospital and sometimes bite unexpectedly. Despite my early years running free on the farm, I now reside solely indoors, and I too have wondered why I need to be bothered with rabies vaccines. Supporting Cat Health with Information and Health Studies. Vaccination doesn’tannihilatethe virus — feline herpesvirus is the gift that keeps on giving; but vaccination can help keep it under control. Thirty-two of the cats had no history of rabies vaccinations while one cat had an up to date rabies vaccination. For some cats, when they are nervous, their first response can be to bite or scratch. It is very important that ALL cats be vaccinated against rabies, including cats that never go outdoors. Even if they never leave the house, indoor cats still need to be vaccinated to protect their health. A: The simplest answer is that rabies vaccines are required by law for all cats and dogs over the age of six months in New York state - and many other states have similar requirements. The kids said they learned what to do during a school lesson. Records also don’t show whether the cats were indoor-only cats, outside cats, domesticated, or feral cats. I do not think they need the shots. Once outside, a cat who wishes to escape will find some way to do so and any adventure outside carries with it the potential of exposure to something harmful (including a wild animal). It is important that cats, regardless of being indoors or outdoors, be given the rabies vaccine. Rabies is most commonly transmitted by a bite from an infected animal. A: The simplest answer is that rabies vaccines are required by law for all cats and dogs over the age of six months in New York state - … Are indoor-only cats at risk for Rabies? Although some believe these small animals might have some resistance to the disease, other experts feel that these small animals are more apt to be killed by rabid predators rather than just being bitten and then developing the disease. If the cat is not at risk, many veterinarians do not recommend the feline leukemia virus vaccination. They suggest vaccinating cats wherever rabies is endemic in any local species or where legally required. For your totally indoor cats, I recommend the FVRCP and the rabies vaccine. In the upper and central states, skunks are found with the disease more than other animals. Any person with feral cats on his premises shall make a reasonable effort to capture or vaccinate the cats. Causes, Treatment and Prevention. Two main points of these programs include teaching children that wild animals should be left alone and never touched and any animal acting strangely should be pointed out to an adult who should contact an animal control officer. If the risk of feline leukemia virus exposure is significant (out-of-doors cats), the leukemia virus vaccine sequence should be administered. Most importantly, rabies is a fatal disease for people or any animal unlucky enough to be exposed through a bite or scratch to the saliva of a rabid animal, so extra precautions must be taken to protect us all. 4. Most states have laws regarding the vaccination of pet animals (dogs, cats, and ferrets) as well as other domestic animals. The risks of skipping rabies vaccinations are just too great! While some regions may allow the pet to be quarantined that isolation may last six months or even longer, depending on the state of the disease in that locality. Once the symptoms appear, rabies is almost 100% fatal. Kittens are generally vaccinated once around 4 months of age or within their first year of life. While there is an expensive preventative series of shots that humans can receive to prevent disease after exposure to a rabid animal, no similar preventative protection exists for unvaccinated animals. Then they must be boostered a year latyer.. Because rabies can be transmitted to humans and is nearly universally fatal, many communities have laws mandating rabies vaccination of pets. Not all laws require indoor cats to vaccinate for rabies. If I were unvaccinated or even overdue for my rabies booster (depending on how overdue I was) and came in contact with a rabid bat or other animal, the consequences could be quite severe. A common misconception is that indoor cats are not required to maintain updated vaccines as they do not have exposure to the outdoors or other animals.. Any bites are required to be reported to the health unit. Our ingredients are gently dehydrated and 100% human grade. We live in an apartment in New York City and Izzy is never outside, so why does she need a rabies vaccine? A prolific writer, Liz is also the author of more than 80 books. We've heard stories about rabid raccoons breaking through screens and coming indoors, and it's quite common for bats, which have a high incidence of rabies, to find their way indoors. Increased vaccinations for domestic animals, including and most significantly for dogs and cats, has reduced rabies incidences in the US significantly.