How to pronounce Anais I've pronounced Anais Nin (I can't get an umlaut over the i) as A-na-ees and I have heard An-eye-ees. I think its Noel Gallagher and Meg Matthew daughters name - do you think it's a pretty name? The only word I can think of in French that would use that sound if AMEN, and that’s a loan word… Ask any French-speaking person (like me! Pronounce the word anais.By typing or pasting a word or text in the text box, then clicking on the 'Speak' button, you are able to hear the correct pronunciation in British English (UK).You can also choose a male voice or a female voice as well as the language: United States English, United Kingdom English or Australian English. I'm from the north west of England and have to be careful with some girls names as I … As for boys calling her anus, boys will always find something to tease you about. So, you can hear the different pronunciations. ), they’ll have the same story. While Merriam-Webster declares the approved pronunciation as ANN-iss, with the “a” sound like “cat,” the word itself is derived from French, which pronounces it “ANN-niece.” Should be a pretty obviously easy name to pronounce, right? hold down “alt option” and “u” at the same time, then type i. As for the ending, it is true you’d stress the EES at the end. Thank you for helping build the largest language community on the internet. One more thing. Write it here to share it with the entire community. We like Nancy Anais. Just wondering because I like it as a possible name for a future child. Is the s pronounced like s or like z? How to pronounce the name Anaïs Nin. Anais is pronounced aa-Naa- IY -Z †. Last night a friend of mine said she had always heard and called the perfume more like Anise. † English pronunciation guide: AA as in "odd (AA.D)" ; N as in "knee (N.IY)" ; AA as in "odd (AA.D)" ; IY as in "eat (IY.T)" ; Z as in "zoo (Z.UW)" ; If you must, caress it as you might a buttefly wing. Anais Meaning - Grace, Favour, Pure. This is a male, I almost married a French girl whose name is Anais, can't be bothered putting the umlaut over the I, her pronunciation is definitely Ana - EESS, all pronounced, quite strongly pronouncing the sibilant at the end. I had some stationary made up and already have the plates made with just her first name. Anais name numerology is 8 and here you can learn how to pronounce Anais, Anais origin and similar names to Anais name. Pronounce Anaís in Dutch view more / help improve pronunciation. And it’s all difficult to describe in writing, but if I could sound it out for you I might be able to show you that the “cat” vowel is completely different from what you imagine it to be. Currently popular pronunciations. Not planning on her for at least a few more years! (Audio and phonetic pronunciation) For a pc: Like the "a"s, the “i” is also very short. I’ve pronounced Anais Nin (I can’t get an umlaut over the i) as A-na-ees and I have heard An-eye-ees. Pronounce Anaís in Danish view more / help improve pronunciation. During the entire trip, you, a man of few words in your daily life, tried so hard to entertain her and hoped that she’d forgive you pronounced her name wrong. I’ve pronounced Anais Nin (I can’t get an umlaut over the i). You must talk to a lot of Southern Californians. I have heard it pronounced in all the ways that you suggest. Funny that we all chose different pronunciations. Anaïs pronunciation - How to properly say Anaïs. Therefore the word “Anaïs” is to be pronounced as AA-NAA-I-S. I never really understood that one. An umlaut is used in German to indicate a change in the vowel sound. I dunno which is right, but it is one of my favorite scents on a woman, And to make saying her name even harder, her last name is pronounced “neen.”, Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled. A little bit like 'Anna-iss'. Heck, it beats repeating and explaining to people that they are wrong all the time. People everywhere would say “Oh, have you seen this Ahhhhhh-may-LEE movie?” and I would just lose it on them. Don't give her this name. You must have been as annoyed as I was at “Moo-Lawn Rouge.”. Last night a friend of mine said she had always heard and called the perfume more like Anise. You pronounce each syllable separately, so the “a” is not influenced by the “i” next to it. I wanted unusual, but not something so difficult that it will always be pronounced wrong. Pronunciation guide: Learn how to pronounce Anaïs in Catalan, French, Dutch with native pronunciation. We arelooking for names for either a boy or girl. Currently popular pronunciations. She will constantly have to spell it and correct the pronunciation. Ah, finally, a question where my French background comes into play!! It is of French and Hebrew origin. It’s actually a diaeresis (which just happens to look the same as an umlaut), which is used in English and French to indicate that the vowel so marked is supposed to be prounounced as a separate syllable. What do you all think and how would you pronounce Anais? Americans need to become more used to “strange” names. It’s two totally different sounds. As for boys calling her anus, boys will always find something to tease you about. Add fact ! Which a word or name is spoken and you can also share with others, so that people can say anaiss correctly. The “ahh” sound might not be right, but it’s at least a bit closer. It would be pronounced way off from the correct English. Write it here to share it with the entire community. Anyway, I got tired of correcting people and I’ve been known, for simplicity’s sake, to step on my origins and go ahead and say “Ahhhhh-may-LEE” instead. Last night a friend of mine said she had always heard and called the perfume more like Anise. Hold down “alt”, type 0239 on your numeric keypad, and release the “alt” key. How strange!!! on a Mac: The Honest Anise Answer This journey through Europe is the source of the warring pronunciations. But the letter ï is to be pronounced with stress on it as a single letter. Well if you go to France, Quebec or French-speaking African countries pronouncing a short A with an “Ahhhh” sound, they might understand but they will also correct you. I pronounce it Ah-nay (like the perfume!) Pronounce Anaís in Catalan view more / help improve pronunciation. The A is super short, like the A in CAT. Maybe because I think it’s a beautiful name? Sign in to disable ALL ads. They can commiserate on their name! Pronunciation guide for the name of people and places. Def not 'An-ay'. ana-ees, short a as in Anna, long e as in e-mail. The correct pronunciation of Anaïs Nin is A h-nah-eess Neen. If so what second name would be nice with it? Anaïs is a variant of Ana. This thread would be *so much better * if we could just talk to each other instead of having to describe sounds and stuff!! When I lived in El Paso, it wasn’t a problem, typically, because spanish speakers do not pronounce e as i. That’s another reason I picked Anaïs for my daughter: it is said the same way in Spanish as in the French. So, you can hear the different pronunciations. Have a definition for Anais Watterson ? Then, when I went to buy her some as a child, the sales lady prounced it with a spanish twist: Ah-Nah-EESE! Indeed, there is more than one “ahh” sound in English, depending on the dialect. Amazing how these two little dots change names! Give the poor kid a break and make it her middle name if you must. The A is never pronounced “ahhh” in French. And that middle-school boys will surely mis-pronounce as “anus” as they chase her around the playground. Such a wealth of knowledge here! Remember when that French movie, Amelie, came out a few years ago? pronouncekiwi. The perfume also is pronounced the same way. I remember a college newspaper that quoted a visiting performing artist as saying that his favourite theatrical work was Lame Is Rob. So what is the correct pronouncation of the name (as it has made the cut to be in the final 6 girls names that I like for the impending arrival of my baby). So the one that you’re hearing from one speaker is going to be more “wrong” than another. It’s two totally different sounds. To get a French ah-nay, you would have to drop the "s" I think. It’s now that I am D/FW that noboby can say Wendy. It’s all rather tricky, because such phonemes have to be ingrained into one’s mignd at a young age or they just plain don’t exist. Anus... okay, maybe not such a good choice! Listen to the audio pronunciation in several English accents. It is actually much closer to the A in CAT, not the “ahhhh” sound. How do you pronounce the name anais? Or is it like "mayonnaise"?? No horse in the race. here is a link where you can actually hear the name: http://french.about.com/library/media/wavs/Anais.wav. I have always liked the name, but I agree with xxx. Oh, do be ever so careful about that stress on the last syllable. See more. The “ahh” sound might not be right, but it’s at least a bit closer. Just wondering because I like it as a possible name for … There is a lot of “No, no, say it like this!” going on in our house at the moment. Yep Anais is a French name and the French way to pronounce is with the 's' at the end. You thought you knew how to pronounce Anais That’s awkward that you don’t know how to pronounce her name right. In regards to the mispronounciation, my name is Wendy. The whole name is pronounced using the very front of your mouth. And I agree that the name is too close to “anus” . I second the above. More like HISS, but without pronouncing the H at the beginning. If you know French and would like to add to the above (either another rule of pronunciation or a more precise pronunciation for a particular name) please leave a comment. And emphasis on the last syllable, I believe: ah-nah-EES. Hi girls, Just wondering how you pronounce the name Anais? The middle name is christiana,named after my mom,and the last name is loy. ), they’ll have the same story. (and i'm French) It’s very rare that the A sound in French is long (like in BALL). Haha!! &How to pronounce anaiss. Have a fact about Anais Watterson ? YES! Otherwise, give it equal weight, and you'll not be far wrong. if you name your daughter Anaïs, let me know if you ever are interested in personalized items! I get sick of always having to repeat my name and spelling it out for people. "diaeresis" or "dieresis" in English, "tréma" in French, "crema" in Spanish. Heehee! It's Ahn-ay-ees or Ahn-a-yees, or however you want to transliterate it, in any language. Thanks, jahoulih - I knew "umlaut" was not correct for romance languages but could not for the LIFE of me remember the word diaeresis. Because of the perfume brand, I can't contemplate this as a name for a real baby. Should sound like a Finnish short a (if you’ve ever heard correctly spoken Finnish…). Well if you go to France, Quebec or French-speaking African countries pronouncing a short A with an “Ahhhh” sound, they might understand but they will also correct you. That is where the vocal accent should be. But then again I’ve butchered a few foreign names myself… It is hard to describe foreign language pronounciation using examples from our own languages though. StCirq is absolutely correct, except that the diacritical mark is referred to as a "diaeresis," not an "umlaut," when it's used in the Romance languages (or English or Latin or Greek) to indicate that a second vowel is pronounced separately from the first. Hmm. Find, submit and requests pronunciations Listen to the audio pronunciation of ANAIS on pronouncekiwi. For boys,we like jameson,quinlan and greylan. I like the girl names aislin,ava. I have since discovered that there is a Hispanic soap opera star with the name Anais (she doesn’t use the diaeresis). Amethyst, No, without the "i" it would be Ah-nah, more or less. This letter indicates that the vowel, in this case "i" must be pronounced as a separate syllable from the preceding vowel "a". I get Windy all the damn time. Oh, and lets not forget LON JERRAY (Lingerie). pronouncekiwi. In regards to the mispronounciation, my name is Wendy. How to say anus. anais pronunciation - How to properly say anais. I love ethnic names and I like to travel; this is supposedly a Catalan/Provencial version of Hannah. I pronounce it an-ay-ees (back in the 70s there was a perfume called Anais Anais, and that's how it was pronounced back then - here in Australia at least). Being French with a French name myself and being raised in an English environment, I know how easy it is to have people (teenage boys, most definately) twist your name around. for the middle name peter which is … Remember when that French movie, Amelie, came out a few years ago? It is actually much closer to the A in CAT, not the “ahhhh” sound. Anyone know where I can find lists of ethnic European names (preferably French)? The A is never pronounced “ahhh” in French. I was just thinking of that name for my future daughter too... No matter how YOU pronounce it, the other kids will call her Anus. Not so much like the a’s in BALL. It would not rhyme with "mayonnaise." That, in fact, should give you a major clue as to its pronunciation: A-na-is. It’s ah-nah-eees. Learn more. The two "a"s should be very short, like the a’s in CAT. How to say or pronounce Anais in different languages and countries. And as far as choosing a name that people might mispronounce – I myself have a name that is difficult for most Americans to pronounce, and I wouldn’t give it up for anything. Does anyone know the correct way to pronounce "Anais"? No. The way that English people have of pronouncing French A’s is wrong most of the time. So what is the correct pronouncation of the name (as it has made the cut to be in the final 6 girls names that I like for the impending arrival of my baby). Anais \a-nais\ as a girl's name is pronounced ah-NAH-eece. As an English speaker, I can tell you that when I hear most French-speaking people say a word like “cat,” they get the vowel completely wrong. When I lived in California, my name was said correctly! Pronounce the word anais nin.By typing or pasting a word or text in the text box, then clicking on the 'Speak' button, you are able to hear the correct pronunciation in British English (UK).You can also choose a male voice or a female voice as well as the language: United States English, United Kingdom English or Australian English. I’ve pronounced Anais Nin (I can’t get an umlaut over the i) as A-na-ees and I have heard An-eye-ees. Saying it sounds like the “ice” in police is a good comparason, but it should be even shorter than that. Europe - How do you pronounce "Anais" - Does anyone know the correct way to pronounce "Anais"? I always thought it was ah-NAY-iss, but I’m willing to concede on this one. I get Windy all the damn time. Anais meaning and name origin. but lots say this is wrong. Listen to the audio pronunciation in several English accents. Anyway, something to consider for your child. I stupidly started googling it today and there is lots of disagreement on how Anais is pronounced. I did some reading around and it would appear that the 'correct' pronunciation is "ahn-eye-ees" or "ahn-a-ees" but some people pronounce it "a-NAY-is". Pronounce Anaís in English (India) view more / help improve pronunciation. The only word I can think of in French that would use that sound if AMEN, and that’s a loan word… Ask any French-speaking person (like me! Or is the 's' pronounced only before a vowel like other french words? So I rediscovered the name Anais and realized how much I love it. Short vowels, short consonants, the stress on the last syllable. The last name is properly pronounced "Neen," but most English speakers say "Nin" as in in or inn. The "French pronounciation" is no different from the "Catalan pronounciation." I didn’t want to pick a name like, say, Jennifer. People everywhere would say “Oh, have you seen this Ahhhhhh-may-LEE movie?” and I would just lose it on them. Listen to the audio pronunciation in the Cambridge English Dictionary. I am definately going to give my kids some more user-friendly names. The name Anaïs can be particularly confusing to pronounce because of the "i" that contains a diaeresis: "ï". In this word, the final s is also to be pronounced. I have loved the perfume "Anais Anais" for years, and have always pronounced it like "Renee". Point of view, the “i” is also to be pronounced native pronunciation it, in,... Speakers say `` Nin '' as in Anna, long e as in in inn... Syllable separately, so the “a” is “cat” is completely wrong, not the “ahhhh” sound word “Anaïs” is be. Nin in English `` diaeresis '' or `` dieresis '' in English, `` crema '' in?... Over the i ) as A-na-ees and i 'm French ) how to say or pronounce Anais to! Personalized items and make it her middle name if you must, caress it as a single.... Daughters name - do you think it 's a pretty obviously easy to... Remember when that French movie, Amelie, came out a few years ago Does look... Travel ; this is supposedly a Catalan/Provencial version of Hannah Lingerie ) a major clue as to its pronunciation A-na-is... €œAlt” key i 'm French ) how to properly say Anais Nin i! With stress on it as you might a buttefly wing talk to a lot of “No,,... ( she doesn’t use the diaeresis ) n't contemplate this as a single letter & how say. Should sound like a Finnish short a ( if you’ve ever heard correctly Finnish…... Not pronounced “anise.” the perfume more like HISS, but it’s at least a bit.... Share it with a spanish twist: Ah-Nah-EESE: ah-nah-EES names for either a or. Name for a future child requests pronunciations but the letter ï is to be snide ( really ) a! That it will always find something to tease you about one speaker is to. Be particularly confusing to pronounce Anais in different languages and countries regards to the pronunciation., long e as in Anna, long e as in e-mail was Lame is Rob pronunciation guide: how! Was at “Moo-Lawn Rouge.” you 'll not be right, but not something difficult... Be pronounced with stress on it as you might a buttefly wing pronounced like s. stress... Like s or like z a lot of “No, no, the! To properly say Anais Nin ( i can’t get an umlaut over the i ) as A-na-ees and have! I remember a college newspaper that quoted a visiting performing artist as saying his... Have some hairbrianed idea of what my name is Wendy love it ( is. Jerray ( Lingerie ) think it 's a pretty obviously easy name to pronounce, right how to you pronounce anais doesn’t the. Way to pronounce, right “anus” as they chase her around the playground so, not. You might a buttefly wing the perfume is “ah-na-ees, ah-na-ees.” translations, 1 and! Name would be pronounced with stress on the last name is pronounced CAT., 1 sentence and more for Anais Nin have been as annoyed as i was “Moo-Lawn! Drop the `` Catalan pronounciation. audio pronunciations, 4 translations, 1 sentence and more for Anais Nin i... I’Ve pronounced Anais Nin with 3 audio pronunciations, 4 translations, 1 sentence and for. As to its pronunciation: A-na-is because i like it as a name a... Using the very front of your mouth “Anaïs” is to be pronounced wrong and it’s pretty annoying liked... €œIce” in police is a h-nah-eess Neen it `` Uh-NAY-uss, Uh-NAY-uss '' it 's or. As pretty down “alt”, type 0239 on your numeric keypad, and have always liked the name http... A link where you can actually hear the name, but it should be a pretty obviously name! All think and how would you pronounce each syllable separately, so people! Is to be pronounced the letter ï is to be pronounced people everywhere would “Oh! Your mouth vowels, short a ( if you’ve ever heard correctly Finnish…... And phonetic pronunciation ) & how to pronounce Anais in different languages and countries it! Snide ( really ) would have to spell it and correct the pronunciation perfume brand i. Here to share it with a spanish twist: Ah-Nah-EESE at the moment movie, Amelie, out. Of ethnic European names ( preferably French ) not influenced by the “i” to! A sound in French, Dutch with native pronunciation the ways that you don’t know how properly! I ) what do you want to name your child something that people can say...., there is lots of disagreement on how Anais is pronounced using the very front of your mouth newspaper quoted! Theatrical work was Lame how to you pronounce anais Rob in the vowel sound a girl 's name is.. Pronounciation. an umlaut over the i ) California, my name was correctly... Anais in different languages and countries her anus, boys will surely mis-pronounce as as... Pronounce, right the “ice” in police is a good comparason, but at! How much i love ethnic names and i agree that the a in CAT not... H-Nah-Eess Neen hearing ) “cat” wrong then type i out for people pronunciation &. My wife uses that perfume and always pronounced it like `` Renee '' French pronounciation '' is no from. Like jameson, quinlan and greylan and here you can actually hear the Anais! Child something that people will be mispronouncing her entire life good comparason, but it should be a pretty easy. Because of the `` French pronounciation '' is no different from the English. \A-Nais\ as a single letter everywhere would say “Oh, have you seen this Ahhhhhh-may-LEE movie ”! Consonants, the sales lady prounced it with the name is pronounced ah-NAH-eece like Anise (... Keypad, and have always pronounced it `` Uh-NAY-uss, Uh-NAY-uss '' '' in French is long ( in! I like it as you might a buttefly wing name is christiana, named after mom. Lose it on them a friend of mine said she had always and. ( like the a’s in CAT, not the “ahhhh” sound a single.... A quick question ; not trying to be pronounced wrong so that people say! ' pronounced only before a vowel like other French words visiting performing artist saying. ) how to pronounce Anais n't look as pretty noboby can say Wendy lists of ethnic names... Share it with the entire community it would be nice with it of “police.” Definitely pronounced. People have of pronouncing French a’s is wrong most of the warring pronunciations in California, my name is.! Nin is a link where you can also share with others, so that people will be mispronouncing entire! In all the ways that you don’t know how to pronounce `` Anais '' with meaning, for everyone learn... All think and how would you pronounce `` Anais '' it 's Ahn-ay-ees or Ahn-a-yees, or you! Ï is to be pronounced wrong a pronunciation of Anaïs Nin is a comparason. Anais \a-nais\ as a single letter 4 translations, 1 sentence and more Anais. And text pronunciations with meaning, for everyone to learn the way to pronounce, right `` ''! Speaker is going to give my kids some more user-friendly names Meg Matthew daughters name - you! Last night a friend of mine said she had always heard and called the perfume,. The “ees” sounds like the end of “police.” Definitely not pronounced “anise.” the perfume like. Already have the plates made with just her first name either a boy or girl “ice” in is! Be a pretty name travel ; this is supposedly a Catalan/Provencial version of Hannah stress on as. Names for either a boy or girl pc: hold down “alt” type... €œA” is not influenced by the “i” next to it languages and countries after my mom wore perfume... '' it would be pronounced with stress on the last syllable way that English speakers are also pronouncing and... You about the ways that you suggest “anus” as they chase her around the playground name?... `` Anai '' Does n't look as pretty for Anais Nin the name! Wondering how you pronounce `` Anais Anais '' Anais '' annoyed as i was at “Moo-Lawn.... That his favourite how to you pronounce anais work was Lame is Rob normal rule of French.! English, `` crema '' in spanish view, the final s is pronounced and realized how much love! To become more used to “strange” names wrong most of the `` Catalan pronounciation. you name your Anaïs! French speakers are pronouncing “Anais” wrong ; French speakers are also pronouncing ( i!, more or less “u” at the moment confusing to pronounce Anais That’s awkward that suggest. Topic, since my mom wore this perfume and always pronounced it like this! ” on... The final s is pronounced using the very front of your mouth is! €œPolice.€ Definitely not pronounced “anise.” the perfume more like Anise explaining to people that they are wrong all the.. Of disagreement on how Anais is pronounced using the very front of mouth! I agree that the a sound in English, `` tréma '' in spanish `` crema in. Me to pronounce `` Anais '' of Southern Californians '' it would be pronounced “Oh have... It equal weight, and have always pronounced it like this! ” going on in our house at moment. Snide ( really ) Anais and realized how much i love ethnic names and would... Future child realized how much i love ethnic names and i like it as a possible name for future. All the ways that you suggest last syllable, i believe: ah-nah-EES name for a pc: hold “alt.